Saturday, January 4, 2014

She's a Fitspiration: Lexi Gancayco

As the old saying goes, "new year, new me". We gather all our energy and get our hopes up while making resolutions for the brand new year ahead but how many of those really come to pass? Case in point: I myself am going back to work tomorrow, and it sort of signals a back to reality scenario. I've already made promises and goals for myself for this year, but the only way for them to truly happen is for me to stay focused, be disciplined and to let go of the things that don't work for me anymore. One person I admire when it comes to her discipline and drive for health and fitness is Lexi Gancayco - she's young, she's determined to achieve her fitness goals, and she doesn't make excuses! I've watched how she's transformed herself in the past year, and I can truly say she's nothing short of an inspiration to me and to many others out there. Get to know a little more about her in my short interview! P.S. Good luck with all your health and fitness goals this year! May all of us emerge victorious and in the pink of health! :)

2013 was a great year for this girl! IG: @lexi_gancayco

What is your fitness activity/workout of choice? How did you get into this? How does it fit into your schedule?
I started out with boxing every day, then I added 30 minutes ab and core exercises after each session. From there I learned how to work out different body parts (not just abs and core). Then I started doing Nike Training Club because it let you choose what body parts you wanted to work out and I could easily do it at home after or before school.  Today I do plyometrics and circuit training because the workout is always different. Its good for me because I get bored easily with the same work out! I make sure to work out in the mornings between 6am to 10am. I'm a big morning person and I like starting the day with all the good energy and endorphins from the workout. Its also easier because its done and out of the way.


What's your diet like? Give specific dishes you consume daily, brands you love, restaurants you frequent, and where you shop for food.
For breakfast I usually have soaked oats in almond milk with chia seeds or peanut butter on whole wheat bread. If I'm not feeling lazy, I'll make green juice (celery, carrots, cucumbers and some fruit).

Then for lunch I'll have chicken breast + brown rice/quinoa + lots of greens. I play around with the way I bake my chicken by using different spices and sauces. I like leafy greens like lettuce, spinach, kangkong. I'm also a big fan of cauliflower and squash. 

For snacks I try to have fruits like apples, dalandan, pomelo and bananas. Other things I like to eat or prepare are toasted whole wheat bread with greek yogurt, whole wheat pancakes with peanut butter, crushed frozen strawberries.

I make it a point to go to the grocery once a week--every Monday, so that my food for the week is fresh. I go to SM Hypermart, S&R and Healthy Options. Since I'm still in school I wake up extra early to prepare all my food for the day. This way I don't eat unnecessary food outside my meal plan and I save money. 

Since I try to follow a specific meal plan, I usually just eat out with my family on the weekends, particularly Sunday. Sunday is my cheat day so I don't really limit myself to anything.
 
 
What are the top 3 fitness/health lessons you can share with us?
1. You need that cheat day. Without the cheat day, you'll go crazy. If one day of the week is not enough, then one small snack a day should be good. I love ice cream and Nutella! I try to get my ice-cream fix over the weekends and I sometimes put Nutella on my banana snacks!

2. If it doesn't hurt, it isn't working. Push push push!!! That's the only way you'll get your results.
Working out requires discipline and hard work. You're not going to get the results you want if you don't work for it. 

3. Be patient with results. Results don't happen over night..or 2 days!  
It takes time to see the results of your hard work. You shouldn't feel discouraged if you don't see the results after one week. If you don't see the results at all, maybe you're not pushing hard enough!
 
 
What's on your workout playlist?
My favorite playlist right now is from RunningMixes.com its a 1-hour long mix of new and old songs to get you pumped.

Workout gear must-haves?
I love printed and colorful sports bras! - Nike or F21.
Gym gloves to avoid calluses - I love mine from Adidas
Leggings! 
Compression shorts - you don't want to show the whole world what is in between your legs while you're doing leg raises!
A face towel - it is important to clean the sweat out because this can be a cause of pimples and acne
Water jug - for hydration
Gym bag
Proper rubber shoes for running vs. gym rubber shoes 

"@lexi_gancayco on IG: Active wear! Bom dia @iza_goulart!!! Lezzz workout!"

 
Whose body do you dream of achieving? Fitness idols? 
I have my own goals for my own body. I try not to achieve other people's bodies because I know we don't have the same body type (obviously). However, I do idolize (Victoria's Secret model) Iza Goulart and Gwyneth Paltrow. They are really dedicated to eating clean and staying fit. 
 
Check out my related post on Iza Goulart: http://bit.ly/JBivH5
Please share some of the blogs/websites/Instagram accounts, etc. you frequent for fitspiration!
Staysharpbestrong
Izagoulart
stephclairesmith
fightforfit
Shaun T
#fitfam

No comments:

Post a Comment