Friday, April 12, 2013
Lentil Pattie with Greek Yogurt and Wansoy
I've recently decreased my animal product intake significantly, and with my attempt to get lean protein from non-animal sources, I've discovered the gem that are lentils! These legumes are usually neglected by the traditional Filipino family, as we've been accustomed to eating other types of food. Apart from lentils being a great source of protein, they are also known to lower bad cholesterol, aid in digestive health, stabilize blood sugar, and increase energy! Sounds good to me! Check out my recipe for a dish you could serve at lunch or dinner.
1 cup green lentils
2 cups water
1 large onion
1 large carrot
1 egg - beaten
Bell pepper (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Greek yogurt (available at Landmark or S&R)
Finely chopped wansoy/cilantro
1. Boil lentils in water. Wait till they are soft and can be mashed.
2. Chop onion and carrot finely.
3. Combine cooked lentils, onions, and carrots in a food processor. Beat 1 egg and add to the mixture. Season with salt and pepper, and add oregano. Grind. Stop grinding once the mixture becomes fine.
4. Make patties out of your lentil mixture. Fry in canola oil.
5. Put Greek yogurt on top of the pattie, add chopped wansoy, sprinkle some cayenne pepper, and enjoy with a glass of ice cold green tea! Yum!!!